Music for the play composed by G. Gershwin. Lyrics – I. Gershwin. The script was written by George S. Kaufman, in collaboration with M. Ryskind. The premiere on Broadway was held in Dec. 1931. In October of the next year, the histrionics moved another venue. The final performance was held in January 1933 after 441 exhibitions. Director was George S. Kaufman, choreographer – G. Hale. The spectacular had such cast: W. Gaxton, G. Brinkley, L. Moran, G. Murphy, V. Moore, J. O'Dea, D. Clements, F. Ames & R. Riggs. From May to June 1933, the musical was held at the Imperial Theatre stage & stayed there for 32 performances with such cast: W. Gaxton, A. Sothern & B. Allen among others. From May to July 1952, production took place on Broadway at Ziegfeld Theatre.
In 1990, the play was revived & presented in NY by G. & S. Players. In 1996, it was shown at London's Barbican Centre. In May 2006, it took place in Center Encores, directed by J. Rando, choreographed by R. Skinner. In the musical were such cast: V. Garber, J. Mays & J. L. Thompson. In July 2015, histrionics was shown on the stage of London's Royal Festival Hall. The performance included: H. Waddingham, H. Fraser & T. Edden. In September 2015, the play was presented in Concert Hall in Sydney’s Opera House. Broadway production won Pulitzer Prize.
Release date: 1931
Last Update:June, 25th 2016
Of Thee I Sing Lyrics
- Act 1
- Wintergreen for President
- Who Is the Lucky Girl to Be?
- Dimple on My Knee
- Because, Because
- As the Chairman of the Committee / How Beautiful / Never Was There a Girl So Fair / Some Girls Can Bake a Pie
- Love Is Sweeping the Country
- Of Thee I Sing
- Here's a Kiss for Cinderella
- I Was the Most Beautiful Blossom
- Some Girls Can Bake a Pie (Reprise)
- Act 2
- Hello, Good Morning
- Who Cares?
- Garc,on, S'il Vous Plai't / Illegitimate Daughter / We'll Impeach Him Who Cares? (Reprise)
- The (Senatorial) Roll Call
- Who Could Ask for Anything More?
- Posterity Is Just Around the Corner
- Trumpeter Blow Your Horn / Finale